Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Making Groceries

I know some people that dread going to the grocery store.  They would rather do laundry, go to the bank, run to the post office or any other errand than go to the grocery. 

I LOVE THE GROCERY STORE

It probably helps that I love to cook, so I associate grocery shopping with something I will enjoy later.  I take great joy in planning my meals, creating grocery lists, and preparing to cook.  Every time I go to the grocery store I like to think of it as a mini scavenger hunt (don't judge, I like to create whimsy in my life).  like to hunt down all my items, compare prices, and fill my cart with delicious  and nutritious bright colored foods.

If you want to enjoy grocery shopping as much as I do read on for some tips and tricks! I hope after these you are able to turn your grocery shopping trip into a joy instead of a chore.

Tips

Time

Make sure you give yourself enough time to enjoy the grocery store.  Running in and grabbing some essentials is fine, but if you really want to have a good time grocery shopping you need to give yourself time to enjoy it.  I usually give myself about 10-15 minutes per meal I'm planning (just a rough estimate).  To note, I shop by myself and am mildly familiar with my grocery store.  I try not to rush around the store, but take in new things around me (what produce do they have from local farmers, is the 6 cent difference between generic and name brand worth the taste difference).  Being able to slow down and enjoy my surroundings help to turn grocery shopping into a fun, leisurely activity.

Organization

Before I go to the grocery store I have pre-planned my meals.  I go through cooking magazines, cookbooks, email recipes, and/or Pinterest and find what jumps out at me.  If I've got some extra time before I head out I write out my list in order of where things are in the store: produce, dry goods, canned goods, household items, frozen foods, juice and milk.  Having all the items already lumped together means that I don't have to make second trips because I've forgotten something.  Once I'm at the store I make sure I gather everything I need in that section before moving on.

I also do this weird thing when I check out, I organize how I put everything on the belt before it gets bagged.  There are two different ways I do this:
  1. Put everything on the belt grouped together by where it goes in your kitchen.  All the freezer items together, all the refrigerator items together, spices, and pantry items.  Once you get home, everything will already be organized and you won't be running all over your kitchen putting items away.  Feel free to add as many categories as will fit in your kitchen.  
  2. When I bring canvas bags to the store I like to organize my groceries a little differently at checkout.  I put heavier items together at the beginning to form the strong base for my bags (today I put milk, orange juice, canned goods, etc first).  Next I put loose non produce items (peanut butter, rice, Kleenex).  The last thing I put on the belt are produce and soft items (bread, fruit, vegetables).  This way your items are built up and it ensures your bananas don't get squashed by your orange juice.
Don't feel bad about bringing your own bags to the store, asking your bag person to use them, or asking that they load your items in a certain way.  This is your cilantro, and if you don't want it shredded all over your bag you need it placed on top.

Budget

The first thing that helps me is that I go into the store with a list.  I know exactly what I need and I do not deviate from the list.  I also keep track of how much I am spending, I write down my estimates for what I am purchasing next to the item on my list so I stay on budget. 
Next, I have a set number in my head that I am going to spend, and I don't go over it.  If I have $30 to spend at the grocery store that is all I have.  I go in with cash so I can't spend more than I have planned.  There have been trips to the grocery store where I put things back on the shelf or edited my list because I wasn't staying on budget that trip. 
If I know I am going to be short on cash a certain week I make a point to check Budget Bytes.  This site is an amazing resource for anyone looking to cook good food without spending a ton.
When planning my meals I also go through my refrigerator and pantry.  I want to take advantage of everything I already have.  This week I had some leftover spinach from a salad last week, so I'm putting it into a soup this week!

Get to Know You

Get to know your grocery store!  Make a point to meet the people who work there, especially if you go to the same store at the same time every week.  When you know your grocer they can get feedback straight from you! They may ask which brands you prefer, what sort of produce you want, or get general feedback and customer service.  Having a one on one relationship with the people who work at your grocery store can have a direct impact on you!
When you go to the same store you get to know the prices at your store.  You can shop more effectively when you know what is and is not a good deal.  Weekly sales circulars can also be a great resource find out what is going on sale and take advantage! Plan you meals around what will be on sale.


I hope some of these tips will make your grocery shopping a more enjoyable and less stressful errand.  Share your own tips to make grocery shopping less of a chore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics