Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Vegetarianism

A word on vegetarianism. 


As soon as I announce that I am a vegetarian to a group of people that I am eating with, the next questions is usually "Why?".  This questions is accompanied by a look of bewilderment or wonder that I can abstain from something that is so crucial to so many other's diets. 
So I'll tell you.

The first thing I will tell you is that I have an amazing support system.  My mother experimented with vegetarianism while cooking for my sisters and I while we are growing up.  The idea of eating a meal without meat is something I grew up with.  I understood from a young age that I could get the vitamins and nutrients I need without animal products.  My mother and one sister are now vegans, so there is an awful lot of recipe sharing that goes on between the three of us.

That being said....When I graduated from college and moved into my first house I was overwhelmed with the freedom in having my own kitchen.  However, during this time period I was supporting myself on tips while waitressing at a diner and from my substitute teacher salary (what that means is that I was really broke).  As part of my New Year's Resolution to get a better hold on my finances I decided to stop cooking meat at home. 

Meat is expensive.  (Meat is less expensive if you buy in bulk, but since I cook for one and do not have access to a deep freezer in my apartment it is not practical for me to buy in bulk)  I saw an immediate change in the amount of money I was spending at the grocery which got the wheels in my head turning.

During this time I was still eating meat at restaurants and eating meat if a friend or family member was cooking.  The switch for me started during the Lenten season.  For the non-Catholics out there, Lent is the period before Easter where Catholics prepare for the resurrection of Jesus.  This period is marked by an abstention from an activity or food you enjoy, a form of penance, and a rededication to the Catholic Church.  During the Lenten season of 2012 I decided that a part of my Lenten sacrifice would be to abstain from meat.  After the 40 days of Lent were over, I decided that a vegetarian lifestyle was something I could continue in a healthy and fulfilling way.

During all of this time I was also doing research into the vegetarian lifestyle to make sure I was making a choice that would keep me healthy.  Some of the books I read were The China Study, Crazy Sexy Diet, I watched Forks Over Knives, Food Inc. and many others.  I learned some amazing facts about the use of animal products in the system of the human body.  After doing all this research I came away with one idea that has propelled me to stick with the vegetarian lifestyle.  If you maintain a vegetarian diet with less than 5% animal products in your daily diet, you can help your body stave off cancer, diabetes, heart disease, anti-inflammatory diseases, and pretty much everything you do not want in your body.  If you don't believe me I invite you to do your own research and see what you come up with.

Since I have been living a vegetarian lifestyle I have noticed several things about my body.  I have lost weight by becoming a vegetarian.  I cook my own meals full of fresh fruits and vegetables, I do not eat out often, and I try to minimize the amount of animal products I consume.  I have more energy, my skin is clearer, and my body runs on a more regular schedule.  The money I save by eating at home, cooking with fresh fruits and vegetables, and by sharing my food with friends and family would never be considered a downside.

I encourage you to investigate a vegetarian lifestyle.  If it's not for you, that's totally fine.  Try to create Meatless Monday or cut out animal products for one meal a day.  Once you get into the swing of cooking and living as a vegetarian you will surprised at how easy it is.

Cook away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics