Saturday, September 22, 2012

If At First You Don't Succeed

I had a vision of myself in my new life here in New Orleans, I would shop at farmers markets, go to music festivals, hang out in the park, and ride my bike anywhere I needed to go.

While some of that has happened so far, some I have not been able to achieve.  One of the items on the list that was totally within my grasp however, was riding my bike.  I drive a truck; which can become taxing in a city with small, poorly paved, street parking. Not only would riding my bike help with the stress of finding parking spots, it would help my pocket book because I wouldn't need so much gas, and it would keep my in shape! What could go wrong?

Well, today I decided to ride my bike, not just as recreation but as a form of transportation.  

It didn't turn out so well.

I haven't ridden my bikes in a few weeks, and if you let your bike sit out in the heat the tires will deflate.  
I was in a rush to get to my morning meeting today and didn't have time to pump my tires before I left, big mistake.

I don't know if you've ever tried to ride a bike with deflated tires, but it's like a riding a bike with square wheels.  It takes so much more effort and it's not good for your bike.  I realized my tires were going a poor way about halfway through my ride.  (the first half was spent congratulating myself for being a good person for riding my bike and feeling totally out of breath)  By the time I discovered the problem it was too late for me to turn around and get my car.  I didn't want to be late to a work meeting (I'm the new girl and I want to make a good impression) and I had too much pride to turn around at that point.

So what is a etiquette, health, and vehicle concerned girl to do?

I seriously considered having a tantrum on the side of the road, then having an emotional breakdown occurred to me, but what would any of those accomplish? 

I decided to call my colleague and let her know I was running behind but would be there a few minutes late.  Of course it is terribly rude to be late to a meeting, but it's much better to let your date know you are concerned with their time, apologize, and get your butt in gear to get there.

Physically, I couldn't ride the broke down bike anymore.  I decided to walk the bike the rest of the trip, walking a bike takes significantly more time than walking yourself.  When I got to my destination I simply locked my bike outside and went inside, apologizing the whole time.
After my meeting I walked back home, got my car, and returned to pike up my bike.

Now, I could be super defeated about the whole situation.  It took an extra hour of my day to deal with the issues (getting there took longer, walking back took way longer, then I had to return in my car anyway).  I could get defeated by the fact that my first outing was not successful. 

But I'm not going to. Nothing is perfect.  This outing taught me several things:

1. Pump your tires before you leave.  Every time.  Not only will riding your bike be easier, but you will be able to ride it consistently because it's good maintenance. 
2. I need to make sure I give myself extra time when traveling by bike.  I have no idea what will happen between destinations and giving myself wiggle room to account for the unknown is only good sense.
3. If I'm riding my bike when I need to be presentable in public, make sure I have tools to make myself look presentable.  I didn't even consider how much I would sweat, how red my face would look, or how wet my hair would get.  I need to keep a stash of mini deodorant, powder, and dry shampoo to make sure I look presentable in public.  (I am not one of those people who can exercise and afterward look like they've come from the salon.  I sweat, and get red faced, it's not cute)

I'm not sure when I'll take my bike out next, but I'll be much more prepared and I'm sure it will go well.




A PSA: Make sure you wear a helmet when you go out on a bicycle or motorcycle.  It may not be the cutest, but it will keep you safe.  Several of my friends have been in bike accidents and the only reason there are still alive today is because they were wearing helmets.  If you aren't wearing a helmet you are 40% more likely to get in an accident and have a fatal head injury.  If people wore helmets every time they got on their bicycles or motorcycles 1,644 lives would be saved each year.

Stats from LiveStrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics