Monday, October 1, 2012

We Make Bread

or, The Little Things


I'm a big fan of happiness. I think everyone should be happy and that you can always find a reason for happiness. 

Happy people just don't kill their husbands. (teeheehee, if you don't get it YouTube that phrase with 'legally blonde')
Everyone has those little things that make us smile inside.  One of my things is making bread.  It is the perfect thing to get out my aggression after a long day or to savor some time to myself after being with small people all day.  And you get such a tasty, simple, and amazing product at the end of it.
I don't have a bread maker or a dough hook on en electric mixer.  I make all my bread from hand and that's the way I like it.  Making bread is usually a long process, at least two hours.  It's nice to take a break from the day and set some time aside for yourself. 

If you think you don't have time to make bread I tell you

WRONG

True, you do need some time to make bread.  But it's not hours spent in the kitchen working and kneading dough.  The actual hands-on time when making most bread is about 20 minutes, total time about 3 hours.  I do laundry, clean the house, plan lessons.  I like to pool all the things I have to get done during the rise time, that way when the bread is done all I have to do is enjoy it.

Basic Bread Recipe

This is a combination of several recipes I have used to make bread.  It's basic and super delicious.

2 TBLS butter
4 TBLS sugar
2 tsp salt
2 TBLS active dry yeast
1 1/2 cup hot water
5 cups + all purpose flour


Add all the ingredients except the flour in a small bowl, mix, and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.  This allows the yeast to start to ferment.  You'll know it's ready when there is a blooming of different colored stuff in the middle of the bowl.

After the yeast has started to ferment, you will start adding the flour in.  Add around 3 cups first, stir it all together and then slowly start adding more flour about 1/2 cup at a time.  Soon you won't be able stir it with a spoon and now it's time to get your hands dirty. 

Wash your hands then have at it!  Generously flour your counter, plop the dough onto the counter, flour your hands, then start to knead the dough.  Keep adding flour until the dough isn't sticky anymore.  You'll need to knead the dough for around 10 minutes, until it reaches a non-sticky doughy state. 

Once you are done kneading the dough; grease a large bowl and put the dough in it.  Allow the dough to rise for about two hours or until it has doubled in size.  Punch it down, then separate it into two balls.  Round each ball and place it on a cookie sheet.  If you want to, you can cut fun designs into your bread at this point.  Allow the dough to rise for another 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. 
 
(At this point, if I were you, I would preheat the oven)

The bread should rise to about half the size you want them after they bake.  If you want to rush this process you can set your oven on around 175 degrees and allow the bread to rise in the heating oven.

Once your dough has risen to the height you want it paint it with an egg wash (egg whites and water mixture).  You can also add spices to your bread at this point.  My favorites are kosher salt and fresh rosemary. 

(If you are going to use fresh herbs, make sure you press them into the bread so they don't fall off when you start cutting into your delicious treat)

After you top your bread with extra specialness, pop it into a 400 degree oven for around 30 minutes.  I don't want to tell you specifics because every oven is different..  Adjust the degree and time based on your oven particularities.

You know your bread is done when it starts to brown around the edges and on top.  You should also be able to smell it while it cooks at this point.  Let it cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack, then behold your marvelous baking prowess!

Serve with favorite soups, salads, or eat it on it's own!  I usually just eat it on it's own, it's almost too good to dunk into other flavor profiles. 


Eat and Enjoy!  I hope making bread brings you as much peace, joy, and fulfillment as it does me!

1 comment:

  1. We make bread. IT'S WHAT WE DO.

    Lovin your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics