Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmastime is Here

Christmas is my favorite holiday.  It is the season of peace, happiness, love, charity, and hope.

It's true that Christmas has become so commercialized lately, and that all anyone seems to care about is  presents.  I don't seem to have too big a problem with that though.

I love giving gifts, and Christmas is a wonderful time to do it!  Gifts express how much you care about someone, why you love them, what you have in common, or anything else you wish to express.  I don't think about giving gifts in a monetary sense, but the meaning behind the gift is what is important. 

Christmas gifts should be a reflection of the relationship between the person giving and receiving.  To help me keep the balance and choose gifts that are meaningful I keep a few tricks up my sleeve. 

Tips for Christmas Shopping

The first thing I do is keep a running list on my phone of gift ideas for people.  Whenever I see a good movie with someone, go to a concert, read the same book, have a similar food interest, I write it down next to their name.  When that person's birthday or Christmas rolls around I have an already made list of their interests so that I can find a gift that will be meaningful. 

The second thing I do is try to buy throughout the year.  If I find something on sale or that screams the name of a family member or friend I will go ahead and purchase it.  This helps with budget issues as well as time issues once the holidays roll around.

The third thing I do is start early.  After Halloween I start getting my thoughts together about who I need to give gifts to, what my budget is, and my time frame for gifts.  Once all that is accomplished I can hit the ground running after Thanksgiving.

A trick I use is pinterest. Most of my female friends and relatives have a pinterest account.  I know that I often post products I would like to have in my life, ideas for craft projects, recipies I want to try.  Why not use that same information to give something wonderful and thoughful as a gift.  My cousin has a list of art she wants in her house, my friend has a board of books she wants to read, my sister has a board of jewelry she wants.  Pinterest is basically an already categorized wish list!
For the $5 stocking stuffer kind of gifts at Holiday parties I often bake, make candy, or something else homemade.  Everyone loves Christmas goodies, and they can be very cost effective when you make a large batch.  If you need to bring something not homemade keep an eye out at stores like Tuesday Morning, TJMaxx, or Ross.  These stores often have really great deals throughout the year on generic gifts like candles, lotion, kitchen tools, and other items.  You can stock up on these throughout the year, then have lots of items quickly at hand when you need them.

All of these help me stay sane during the holidays and enjoy what they are really about; spending time with loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics