Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Who Are We?

When I'm looking for bulletin board ideas for my classroom I often get frustrated.  I teach dance and theatre and those subjects aren't often taught on an elementary level.  Most of the board ideas I see are for boards outside classrooms that display the classroom demographic and names of all the students. 

I've been looking for ideas for the bulletin boards in my classroom and this is one that I came up with!


This board is a display of some of the work my theatre students are doing.  One of the first days of class I let each student pick out  one prop or costume piece and I took their picture.  The next day their journal entry was to create a character, different from themselves, who was in the picture.  Students had to write the name of their character, how old they were, what they like to do, what they did for a living, and any other details they wanted to add.

This was a great assignment for a theatre class because it allowed them to create their very own characters, but this assignment could be tweaked to fit any English Language class.  Not everyone has a prop box or closet of costume pieces to choose from but not to fear! 

Students could bring in a costume piece or favorite piece of clothing from home.  Instead of one writing assignment it could become two.  The first would explain why the student chose that particular item, for the second the student would take their picture and create another person (or animal) to write about. Another option would be for students to swap items.  Students could explain why they love what they brought and see how it can be transformed.

For the actual bulletin board I wanted to create something dynamic.  The walls in my classroom are really white, and there is a lot of white space right now.  I love the way teal and red look together, and I was lucky enough to find these matching speech bubbles at my local education store. (A tip from me to you, laminate everything in your classroom!)

Stay tuned with some more ideas to bring the arts into your classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics