Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Happy Halloween!



Happy Halloween Everyone! October is here and it is time to start decorating for a fun indulgant holiday!  October to me is Halloween month, so this month I'll be working on some crafts to celebrate Halloween! 

Pumpkin Painting

The first thing I wanted to do was get my pumpkins out front.

This year I decided to paint my pumpkins instead of carving them.  If you carve your pumpking you have to worry about it rotting through before Halloween arrives.  However, if you decide to paint your pumpkins they will keep through the fall. 

I went with a black/purple/silver motif.  As I continue to make or purchase Halloween decorations for my house I plan to stay in this color motif.  When I decorate I like to have a consistent color pallete.  If you keep the colors consistent you can play with texture and pattern.  I had one striped, one polka dotted, and two chunky striped pumpkins; I kept the same colors but chose different ways of decorating.  By keeping your colors consistent your decorations will look more cohesive and have a stronger impact.

To paint the pumpkins I used some acrylic paint I had left over from other projects and a 3/4 inch brush.  I used the natural lines on the pumpkin for the stripes on the last three pumpkins.  I used the cap of a small spray paint can to trace the polka dots on the first pumpkin.  I then went back and painted in the traced polka dot.  I also painted the stems of the pumpkin silver for a little extra sparkle. 

Pumpkin Shopping


I bought my pumpkins at local church's Pumpkin Patch.  They may be a little pricier than your grocery store counterpart, but to me the experience was well worth the extra cash.  Picture the following:

A chilly fall morning; the sun in shining, the wind is blowing, you are wearing boots for the first time this fall.
You walk up to a cute church green space that is covered with pumpkins!  There are kids playing, people mingling, and all shapes and sizes of pumpkins.
You puruse the field of pumpkins, people come to ask if they can help you and they actually know what you are looking for!
When you go home you not only have adorable pumpkins to decorate but you know that money you spent is staying in the community. 

One of the reasons why I wanted to get my pumpkins from a local patch vs the grocery store is where the money goes.  I like knowing that the church will use the money to fund local educational programs, services for the poor, and support for the homeless. 

Another reason I enjoy pumpkin patches over store bought pumpkins is the experience.  Getting a pumpkin is the kickoff of fall and I want an experience I can remember.  Three fourths of the fun comes from hunting for the perfect pumpkin in the crisp fall air, walking up and down the aisles, hugging your sweater to you for warmth. 
The church members who ran the pumpkin patch knew their wares.  They helped me find exactly the shape and size that I wanted. 

Pumpkin Presentation


I don't have a large porch or stoop area to display decorations.  This year I've decided to use my pumpkins as a door stop for my screened door.  You can stack your pumpkins on one top of the other, use pumpkins on either side of your doorway, down front porch steps, or wherever else you can find in your front yard! 


I'll keep you updated with other Halloween projects I create as the season continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics