Saturday, November 17, 2012

Magazine Holder

I need all sorts of organization in my classroom.  There are coloring sheets, magazines, scrapbook paper, construction paper, lined paper, graph paper (you get the picture).  Browsing through educational websites to find ways to organize all these things can be quite discouraging however.  Most items you see in educational stores are quite expensive and hardly seem to fit all of your needs.  What to do? Make your own!


What I have for you today is a pictorial tutorial on how I made my own organizers out of cereal boxes!


Step One



I took a regular 12" ruler and drew an angled line across my cereal box.  I didn't use any specific measuring tool for the angle, just fiddled around until I found an angle I liked.

Step Two


Next I cut off the four flaps at the top, then cut down the line I had drawn on the cereal box.

Step Three


Use the piece you just cut as a template for the second side so they match.  I laid out the cut piece and drew my cutting line so that both sides would have the same angles.  After you have cut both sides you can cut the small piece running up the middle with a straight line in the middle.



See! Three sides cut out!

Step Four


Measure out the amount of wrapping paper you will need, just as you would if you were wrapping a present.  Start with one side of your box on the edge of your wrapping paper, and keep flipping it until you have measured out each side.

Step Five


Now start wrapping it up like a present!

Step Six


I trimmed about half an inch from the top and bottom to make sure I wasn't folding up an absurd amount of excess wrapping paper.

Step Seven



I wrapped the bottom of my cereal box just like I do when I wrap gifts.  Everyone has their own way of wrapping gifts, use your own judgement for how you wrap yours.

Step Eight


The last thing you need to do is trim away the excess paper at the top of the box on the angle.  I cut small slits on each corner, folded the tape into the box,  and taped them down.




Note to crafters: I discovered that the size of the Life Cereal box was too small to comfortably fit magazines inside.  I plan on repeating this project again, but I will use larger cereal boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics