Friday, March 8, 2013

Pizza Fascination

I have a confession to make.  I LOVE pizza.  I love it so much that I probably eat it at least once a week.  I order it cheap, I order it expensive, I unthaw it from the pizza, I make it from scratch.  I'll pretty much eat pizza any which way.

This is the recipe for a Barbecue Coleslaw Pizza the roommate and I made the other night. 


Barbecue Coleslaw Pizza

Ingredients

Pizza

1 can Pillsbury pizza dough
1 cup pre-made barbecue sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese

Coleslaw

1 head purple cabbage
3 carrots
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Italian dressing
1 tbsp sugar

Directions

1. Cook the pizza dough according to package instructions, about 12 minutes.
2. Top the pizza crust with barbecue sauce and cheese.  Feel free to adjust the amount of each to suit your preference.  Cook the pizza with the toppings for another 8-10 minutes.
3. While the pizza crust is cooking, shred the cabbage and carrots into a large mixing bowl.  Rinse the vegetables.
4.  Mix the mayonnaise, Italian dressing, and sugar together in a separate bowl.  Adjust the seasoning to suit your tastes.
5.  Add the dressing to the cabbage and carrot mixture.
6.  Once the pizza has come out of the oven, top each individual piece with some slaw.


Now, this might sound crazy to you.  But let me just say, it is delicious.  It reminds me of two things from back home.  (1)A local barbecue joint makes a slaw sandwich that basically consists of their homemade barbecue sauce and slaw in a bun.  It is divine, and so delicious when a vegetarian is craving barbecue.  (2)  Another local restaurant from where I am from makes a barbecue salad.  It is a giant bowl regular salad fixings; lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, topped with barbecue pulled pork, cheddar cheese, and ranch dressing.
This recipe combines all of that homey goodness with pizza!  I don't know what two things could be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics