Monday, March 11, 2013

Mine, Nachos

Nachos are super easy, super delicious, and super cheap.  I really don't know why I don't incorporate them into my diet more often.

Last night I made some super tasty nachos for the roomie and I.  Lemme break down my nacho situation for you.

Protein:  Everyone needs some protein in their diet. As a vegetarian, I get my protein from beans, legumes, and leafy greens.  I'm not a huge fan of leafy greens or potatoes on my nachos, so I'm going to stick with beans.  I buy a can of pre-cooked/mashed pinto beans from the grocery store.  Just a can of pre made beans?  How boring you say!  Well, I would agree with you.  Except, that my beans are a little extra special.  I like to kick my nachos up a notch with some spice.  I usually add some chipotle pepper in adobe sauce to my beans.  Or you could add some regular old spices: cumin, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, whatever your heart desires.  Last night though, I did something special.  The roommate had made mole the week before, and we still had a bit lying around, so I tossed that in my beans!  And let me say, a wonderful, delicious, semi-accident food choice.

Chip: I like a flat, sturdy chip as my nacho base.  I like to buy Santitas, but last night I was trying to kill off some whole wheat Scoops that have been laying around for forever.  I do not recommend the Scoop chip for nachos, they are wonderful for dips, but do not form a good base for piling upon.

Spicy: Salsa, very basic, very delicious.  4 seeded tomatoes, 1/2 an onion diced, half a bunch of cilantro, juice of 1 lemon, 1 jalapeno half seeded and roughly chopped.  Mix it all up and enjoy! This salsa has a nice balance of sweet and spicy from the tomato and jalapeno.  Last night I didn't have any cilantro, but I did have some mint.  The mint added a nice counter play to the sweetness of the tomatoes and spiciness of the jalapeno.  Adding the mint did make salsa seem more like a fruity salsa, rather than a spicy one.  I'll tell you though, I didn't hate it.

Soothing (Cheese/Guacamole):  Cheese will be the natural soother of any spicy ailments you may have.  I like to use a Mexican/taco blend, but last night had some Monterey Jack/Cheddar blend, really anything will do.  If you are going to vegan route, some nice guacamole will do as well!  Personally, I love guacamole even if I have cheese as well.  Last night's guac was made with: 2 avocados, 1/4 an onion diced, juice of 1 lime, a generous amount of salt.  You could also add some cilantro for added flavor.

Layer and eat away!  I must admit that in the picture below of my nachos, my eyes were a little larger than my stomach.  Too much food on a plate does not denote its deliciousness! 


 
 
Serve with a chilled beer, limeade, or other refreshing beverage of your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics